A unit of energy is referred to as a calory or calorie, but there are various definitions. However, the definitions are a part of two broad categories. The amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree celsius at a pressure of one atmosphere is referred to as a gram calorie or small calorie. In the food calorie, also known as kilogram calorie or large calorie, the heat energy required to raise the temperature of one kilogram, rather than gram, of water by one degree celsius is equal to 1,000 small calories. This kind of measurement has become sort of obsolete as it relates to the metric system, and the unit of energy in the International System of Units is the joules. Approximately 4.2 joules equals one small calorie and one large calorie is about 4.2 kilojoules. In nutrition consumption is usually expressed in “calories per day”. A gram of fat in food contains nine calories, and a gram of protein or carbohydrate contains about four calories. However, alcohol in food contains seven calories per gram. Here Michelle Roberts, Health editor, BBC News online, reflects on nutritional value and selection of calories:
Image courtesy of: mag3737
“The British Nutrition Foundation is launching a concept called the “quality calorie”, to make people think more about the types of foods they eat.
While most adults consume more than they need, simply counting calories and cutting down is not enough, it says.
It wants people to look at nutritional values to select the best calories.
Public Health England said excess calories were the root cause of obesity and tackling the issue was a priority.
- Calculate how many calories you need
- Can you lose weight without counting calories?
- 200-400 calories recipes
Calories give people energy – women need about 2,000 a day and men 2,500.
Public Health England suggests:
- 400 at breakfast
- 600 at lunch
- 600 at dinner
- leaving room for a couple of healthy drinks and snacks
Image courtesy of: cybrgrl
Food packaging will tell you how many calories (kcal) the contents have – but working out the healthiest choice can be trickier.
- A 30g handful of nuts contains about 174kcal, similar to a couple of chocolate digestives, but the British Nutrition Foundation (BNF) says nuts are quality calories, making them a good snack, while the biscuits are not
- An avocado contains lots of good nutrients even though it has more calorific value than many other fresh fruits and vegetables, making its calories “quality” too
- A low calorie beer is not nutritious
High v low
High-calorie foods are often less healthy but not always. And those sold as low-calorie may not be the healthiest.
- 40 calories or less per serving if it is a food
- 20kcal per 100ml if it is a drink
Image courtesy of: -nanio-
Manufacturers are allowed to say their food is calorie-free if a serving has fewer than five calories – but these still count.
- A can of diet “zero” fizzy drink contains about 10kcal – the same as a small (30g) carrot. The carrot has the quality calories, while the fizzy drink doesn't
Experts often refer to alcohol – but any food or drink high in sugar but low in nutritional value can be said to have empty calories.
- A lollipop can contain about 45kcal, only slightly more than an apple – but these calories are empty, while the ones from an apple are quality”
If you would like to learn other solutions to help control your health … click here?
Read More … Article Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45549259
Photo By Halfshaft
Photo By Pamela P. Stroud
SUFFERING ARTHRITIS? Break FREE For GOOD!
Finally, a solution has been found and I’m here to tell that you can finally turn the tables on arthritis and break free for GOOD!
Did you know that you can learn the real cause of Arthritis and naturally get rid of it within 21 days?
WOW! Stop the Throbbing and Aching!
Every day, millions of Americans experience the nagging, shooting, pinching aches and pains that come with everyday life. Until now, the only way to treat these annoying symptoms were with drugs or other medicines that often caused unpleasant side effects! With Eazol, you'll get an FDA-Registered Pain Reliever that's 100% Natural with no side effects.